Introduction to Orlando
Orlando is one of the fastest growing cities in Florida, a state in the United States of America.
It was declared the county seat of the Orange County in 1856 and got the status of a town in 1875.
A decade later, in 1885, it was incorporated as a City.
The city of Orlando which you can experience today currently spanning over 100 square miles from the initial 4 miles in 1875.
To travel around Orlando, one can easily use the extensive bus network to most regions in the city, especially to the major attractions. The bus is an inexpensive option, but you would need to plan well as the frequency is not great. If you are familiar with the driving pattern in Orlando, then you can consider renting a car, but be prepared to shell out for toll and parking spaces. Hiring a taxi is another option, but as expected, the costs would run a bit high. Hiring a bike, most commonly the Harley-Davidson is another option preferred by tourists.
If you are planning a trip to Orlando, you can be assured of a wide range of unique experiences. The ‘Ripley’s Believe it or Not! Orlando Odditorium’ is a bizarre attraction in Orlando. It is a 10,000 sq foot unique construction designed such that it appears to sink into the ground. Here, you can go around a self guided tour through the Odditorium and experience the various interactive exhibits.
If you have never got a chance to sky-dive, here is your opportunity, at IFLY, Orlando’s Indoor Skydiving location. Here, you can experience the same adrenaline rush you would get, if you actually jumped off an airplane. The true free fall conditions in a vertical wind tunnel are created by a cushion of air in between two walls, on which the person can float without taking any risks.
Both children and adults would love the tour of the ‘Chocolate Kingdom’, which is an interactive tour that guides you through the chocolate making process; from bean to the creamy chocolate bar.
You can also visit ‘Titanic the Experience’, a gallery located on a 20,000 sq foot area, with 17 sub-galleries, recreating the full size rooms of the famous ship.
Orlando has a lot for animal lovers to visit; the ‘Safari Wilderness Ranch’, to have a unique experience of the wild in a customized safari vehicle or optionally on a camel back. There is also the ‘Gatorland’, a 110 acre breeding ground for crocodiles and alligators in Orlando and the ‘Giraffe Ranch’, where you can have a close interaction with the animals, by feeding the giraffes and petting the camels. The Giraffe Ranch provides the animals free movements in an environment that closely represents their natural habitat.
Orlando has seven major theme parks of which, four theme parks are in the ‘Walt Disney World Resort’ itself; the ‘Magic Kingdom’, themed on Cinderella Castle rides, the ‘Epcot’, well known for its spaceship earth, the Disney’s Hollywood Studios and the Disney’s Animal Kingdom, a place where you will find various exotic animals. There is also ‘Legoland Florida’, Florida’s most recently constructed interactive theme park offering over 50 rides and several shows and attractions.
Outside the city
One can also consider a day trip outside the city of Orlando, to visit some of the many attractions of Florida, including beaches like the Daytona Beach, the Cocoa Beach and various parks and forests too.
Also, Located between Orlando and Tampa is the ‘Dinosaur World’, which, as the name suggests, is dedicated to the massive beasts and is only one of its kind in Florida. It’s a great experience for families to walk amongst the once most feared creatures on the earth.
Where to sleep in Orlando
For a complete list of all hotels and resorts in Orlando, please visit our Orlando Hotel Page
Map of Orlando
News from Orlando - RSS News Feed
- A student stabbed a classmate in the chest with a pair of scissors outside an Orange County middle school, officials say.
- 2014-04-23 14:09:21
- Florida is set to execute a man convicted of killing his cousin and his cousin's wife in Lake County.
- 2014-04-23 13:55:17
- Emergency officials are called back to a sinkhole near two homes in The Villages.
- 2014-04-23 13:37:39
- Firefighters extricate a man from a vehicle that overturned in Apopka and crashed into a tree.
- 2014-04-23 13:09:15
- Investigators in Altamonte Springs are hoping video caught on a home surveillance system will help them solve a burglary.
- 2014-04-23 12:56:48
- School districts in Central Florida say FCAT testing should resume following technical difficulties with the server.
- 2014-04-23 12:51:49
- One woman sees Jesus. Others see a former president. Some are simply left rolling their eyes.
- 2014-04-23 12:30:24
- On the 50th anniversary of the iconic "It's a Small World" ride, Disney will announce plans for a movie based off the attraction, according to a report.
- 2014-04-23 11:49:30
- Marion County deputies release video of a high-speed chase that started as a traffic stop.
- 2014-04-23 11:21:42
- Daytona Beach police are asking for help finding a sex offender accused of having sex with a teen girl.
- 2014-04-23 11:20:20
Путеводитель по Орландо - Russian